Saturday, December 31, 2011

What to do when your baby has a cold.....

When you have an infant under a year old and usually even with a child under two years old it can be just torture when you just cannot offer them any relief. Over the counter medications are not safe or recommended for little ones and a lot of families try not to use medications at all for the common cold and other winter time viruses. A friend of mine has a baby who is 8 and a half months old and he is just plain suffering from congestion. As a Family Herbalist I offered her some of my simple remedies. As I was researching a new homemade vapo-rub I came across a post from one of my favorite bloggers. Here it is with full credit.....

I think I will make up a batch......

Homemade "Vapo-rub" Recipe

  Best of all, this is completely natural and safe for people of all ages. Here's what you need:







■5 tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil (a natural anti-viral)


■1 tbsp. evening primrose oil (could use sweet almond, olive, etc. if you want)


■2 tbsp. beeswax


■8 - 10 drops tea tree essential oil (also a natural anti-viral)


■15 - 20 drops rosemary essential oil (aids breathing)


In a small pan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and evening primrose oil. Add the beeswax, chopped up or in granules (mine was in a large chunk, so I chopped) and stir until melted. Add the essential oils and stir to combine. Pour into a 4-oz. glass jar and allow to cool. This mix is not completely solid even when cool, so be careful of that when you open the jar.






Before bed, put this mixture on the feet and then put socks over it. When it's put on the feet, it's absorbed quickly into the body and it goes through the whole system. That's why it works. You could follow this up with a spoonful of raw honey, and the same essential oils in a humidifier (which I did). Worked great, and we all got sleep!


Blogger who posted this information
Modern Alternative Mama
http://www.modernalternativemama.com/blog/2011/1/31/monday-health-wellness-homemade-vapo-rub-recipe.html


Another one of my herbal remedies for this viral season is my homemade elderberry and fennel syrup. I make it to help soothe sore throats and help boost the immune system. I have it for sell on my Etsy site. Feel free to go check it out......
Elderberry and Fennel Syrup


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...