Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Buttermilk Pie








I was born and raised in Alabama. I am by no means a country girl though. I have lived outside of the South for years at a time. But even I know what buttermilk pie is. I have eaten it many times and even baked it on occasion. I have many memories of eating my mother's buttermilk pies growing up. I bought some buttermilk yesterday in hopes of baking a pie today. At work today I polled my friends and co-workers and only one of them had ever eaten buttermilk pie before. Only one other had even heard of it. I was appalled. And they call themselves Alabamians!! My children enjoy making buttermilk pie and eating it whenever they get a chance. Here is my mother's recipe if anyone would like to try buttermilk pie. I have also included a link to an explanation and a little history on this misunderstood desert. Enjoy!!!!



3 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 stick melted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk


Mix all in order given (do not use electric mixer). Pour into unbaked 9 inch pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then, bake at 250 degrees for at least an hour or until set. Let cool before slicing. Yummy!





2 comments:

  1. "... this misunderstood dessert." Lol! Ok, you've made me feel sympathy for the poor thing so now I will have to try it!
    Great photos of your girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was yummy!! thanks for making it and bringing it to work. just for the record, I was the only one who knew about it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...