Saturday, February 4, 2012

Bubble and squeak (yes, it is a real recipe)



I was looking for a recipe using some of the vegetables I had on hand and I came across a recipe for bubble and squeak. The bubble part comes from the sound of the vegetables boiling and the squeak is from the sound of them frying. There are a lot of different recipes out there and I ended up coming up with my own. Here is a list of my ingredients.

can of diced potatoes (fresh works best but I didn't have any)
kale
onion
leek
cabbage
olive oil
coconut oil
salt
black pepper
dried thyme (I was out of fresh)

Annika was my helper today for this recipe. She diced the onions and rinsed and tore apart the cabbage. I cut up the leek and the kale. Minus the potatoes all the veggies were boiled till they became soft but not too limp.I added some salt and olive oil to the water. If you use fresh potatoes you will need to boil them separately because they take longer to cook. I then drained the veggies and added them to an iron skillet (best way to get easy iron in your diet). Already in the skillet was the coconut oil. I didn't really measure any of the ingredients. Let common sense be your guide. As I pan fried the veggies I added the potatoes, pepper, thyme, and some more salt. There is no real set time to cook just heat through and fry for a bit. It turned out so yummy!!! Annika and I ate all of it. I guess I need to make a bigger batch next time. It is best eaten hot. It looses a lot if it cools and needs to be reheated. This recipe is chock full of vitamins and minerals especially vitamin K not to mention the benefits of coconut oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...