Friday, December 4, 2020

An ending...but where is the beginning?

I am no longer teaching K2 at Gospel Light Baptist Academy. I took some time off for health reasons and the decision was made to not return for several family and personal reasons. It was one of the hardest decisions I have made in a long time. Last night when I found out my bio never even made it to the staff page of the school after working there a year and a half I was devastated. I know part of that is ego. But I feel just plain left out. I always blamed it on revolving office staff or time constraints that I wasn't included last year and we had lots of new staff this year. I did see my bio draft being worked on one day months ago. I was actually congragulated for turning in an updated bio first. See, I completed a very time consuming yet rewarding certification process with AACS (American Association of Christian  Schools) this past summer. The school paid for the application but I put up the hundreds of dollars for my books. That is OK. I wanted to keep them to help me grow as a teacher. I have my Early Childhood Education Endorsement now and with all my past college I am one class away from Secondary Education History and Science Endorsements. This was required for my job but I wanted to do it. Most of the teachers at the school have Bible College degrees so if their degree is in education they just had a simple form to fill out. I graduated from a secular university. I basically crammed a Bible course of study equivalent to a certification into a 6 week period. Pride can become sinful but I was proud of myself. I was working full time 2 jobs and being a mom during Covid. I wrote paper after paper at 2am for nights on end. I loved it.

As I stated above, I am not teaching at a Christian school any longer. Maybe in the future I will again. I may homeschool some of the kids in a Christian home. Who knows. I do know that I cried my eyes out and had my mother, husband, and a slew of children hugging and supporting me through this decision. Few people outside my family know the pain I deal with physically and emotionally every day.  My mother says she thinks I am really suited to working in Hospice Care. I work nights with Home Health and my recent clients have been on Hospice. Death doesn't scare me. Working with mature clients with dementia is similar to working with special needs children. I have training in both.  During my undergraduate studies I was asked to join a Geriatric Education training program at UAB. I should have done it but hind sight is 20/20.....

Breathe, and take it a day at a time...


I do miss my class and worry about them everyday.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...