Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What are the girls reading?

The most popular question the big kids ask lately is, "What can I do?" I always remind the girls they can always read. Lyn went searching through my old books from my childhood and came up with The Half Sisters. She said she was drawn to it because the main character is 11 almost 12 just like her. This book is one that I acquired when my mother worked at the local library when we lived in Mississippi. She would bring books home that were too old or damaged to be in circulation.

Annika enjoys writing songs. I had checked out a book of Emily Dickinson poems recently from the library. I showed it to her and showed her the similarities between poems and songs. She looked through the book and found several she liked. She read them out loud. This is a great way for her to practice her fluency and learn new words. I suggested that tomorrow when she gets bored she could pick poems and draw a picture with the poems as inspiration. We'll see what she comes up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...