Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My homemade yeast teatment


You see them all over the side of the road and in fields here in the South. Milk Thistle.... I think they are a beautiful and dangerous plant. They can grow huge but approach them with caution. They bite back with their bristles. Well, they are but one ingredient in my homemade yeast diaper rash ointment. I start with coconut oil as my main base. It already has anti-microbial properties that includes ant-fungal properties.  I prefer to use organic virgin coconut oil. I seem to have better results with it. I add 10 drops of grapefruit seed oil to two table spoons of coconut oil. I then add 5 drops of tea tree essential oil. And my favorite ingredient comes next, 30 drops of milk thistle extract. You can find all of these ingredients at health food stores, some drug stores, and of course places like Whole Foods. You can buy similar ointments at Whole Foods but you can make it at a fraction of the cost. I make a fresh batch each day and use it liberally at every diaper change. I have yet to have it stain my cloth diapers and it washes out just fine. As an extra measure if I have yeast in the house I use a special spray for diaper changes. I use cloth wipes and to help with clean up I use a spray bottle with a mixture of water, coconut oil, lavender EO, and a mild Castile soap. It is mostly water but the oil in it makes the poop just slide off. Too much information oh well..  :) That is my regular spray. It is so much cheaper than buying wipes and if you are already washing diapers just toss the wipes in the load, no extra work. My special yeast spray has all of the above plus tea tree EO and milk thistle extract added. It has a stronger smell but helps in the remedy and prevention until we are sure the yeast is all cleared up.

I am a Family Herbalist and on a tight budget. I sell my concoctions or "potions" as my kids call them in my Etsy store. If you ever need anything not listed just ask... There is a link to my store on the side bar of this blog or you can go there from this link...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...