Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fried Eggplant

Fried Eggplant

I am fond of this dish. I use my own recipe. My husband will eat it. The kids will try it. I actually crave it. I think it is more of the fried covered in cheese aspect I enjoy more than the eggplant aspect. Today I tried something different. Anyone who knows me or has been following my blog at all lately will be aware that I am on a buttermilk kick. Instead of using egg to batter the slices of eggplant this go around I used buttermilk. I couldn't really taste a big difference. I think it added a slight tang but that could have just been my imagination. Here is the recipe I use:


one medium eggplant (peeled and cut into thin slices)

store bought all purpose Greek seasoning

all purpose flour

buttermilk or beaten egg

shredded mozzarella cheese

cooking oil


I put the Greek seasoning into the flour. Just season to taste. I use a lot. Mix it well. Have another bowl with the buttermilk or beaten egg. I heat my oil in an electric skillet at about 350 degrees. I dip the slices one at a time into the buttermilk or egg and then into the flour mixture covering both sides. I place them into the hot oil and turn once. They take longer than you would think to cook. When they are brown and crispy place on a paper toweled plate. Sprinkle with cheese while they are very hot so the cheese will melt. They are best eaten really hot. They do not reheat well at all. I actually ended up eating this whole plate myself!!

Now for a little history behind the eggplant for all of you who didn't know you wanted to know about this interesting vegetable (or is it a fruit?) The eggplant is technically a berry. It is classified as a vegetable here in the United States when used in cooking. It is native to India. It was introduced to Europe in the middle ages. English speaking people called it "eggplant" because the early varieties were small and whitish in color resembling eggs. Eggplants are in the nightshade family. Generally other plants in that family are poisonous. Edible eggplants come in a lot of varieties but most of us here in the states are used to the fairly large purple variety. Eat up!


2 comments:

  1. "I actually ended up eating this whole plate myself"

    Haha! You are SOOOO pregnant! :D



    I love this stuff too, btw, and your way looks really good. We'll try that soon. Cool info about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I think I will cut the pieces smaller to resemble chicken nuggets. I did a few this go around like that and they were good. I may get more kids to eat them that way. Thanks for defending me. I would have eaten the whole plate pregnant or not!!

    ReplyDelete

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...