Friday, March 1, 2019

Head Covering

Hmmm, so what do I really mean? In the Bible there are several verses that speak on a woman covering her head for prayer and men to uncover their head for prayer. Some see this as a custom for women to have long hair and men to have short hair. Others see this as men to remove hats or any other covering they may have, such as one of my sons insisting on always wearing a beany to cover his very long hair. And for women to don a covering such as a scarf, tichel, or even a wide headband. This seems like a very simple topic buy alas it is not. Many people see this as confining and a way to demean women and make them appear to be unequal to men. This is not the purpose. It is meant to be a way to glorify God in prayer and show obedience and love for his Word. This is not to be confused with the covers used in non-Christian religions. It is not a matter of modesty such as in Islam. It is not to hide but to single out and exalt a woman to show she is forever in prayer or could be in prayer at any moment as it is written in 1 Corinthians...

1 Corinthians 11:5
But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoreth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

At this time a shaven head was interpreted to be a Pagan act. Pagan followers were know to shave their heads and offer the hair as tokens of worship. We can easily look to the practices of the Egyptians throughout History till they became a Muslim nation and see that this was commonplace. It was seen fit and holy to them to shave the head as well as all body hair and paint eyebrows on and to wear wigs to honor their gods. I am sure this was more available to the ruling class and more wealthy citizens of Egypt but accepted and revered by all the inhabitants who followed the Egyptian gods. This is but an example that is contrary to Christianity especially in the early church.

But let us look at 1Corinthians 11:15
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

This leads most Christians who even give thought to this topic that long hair is a covering enough. That may be the case for many women and they are confident in that choice. Surrounding verses go into detail about the uncovering of a man's head and him to have short hair but that is not the topic of this post.

Now, we come to the following verse... 1 Corinthians 11:16
But, if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Now, how to read that and through prayer feel what it means? We can read that to mean to make your own decision on head covering or not. Or, does it mean stop being contentious and follow as is commanded when Paul wrote to the church in Corinth in response to the Pagan practices influencing the early Christian church there?

Head covering was a minor topic covered in what Paul had to say to the church in Corinth. They had a lot to work on including disorderly conduct, even solicitous behavior, during the Lord's Supper and misunderstandings about the resurrection of individuals in Christ. They needed reminders that a new and holy spiritual body would be provided in the presence of the Lord. But, back to head covering.... In this letter to the church in Corinth which is Holy Scripture we are bound to read, study, and pray on it. Almost all Christians I know outside of Mennonite and Amish communities do not cover their heads on a regular basis here in America. In many European and Asian countries Christian women cover for church services or when in private prayer. Some have some type of veil or cover after marriage or as part of traditional cultural dress. But what are you called to do?  What am I called to do? My choice has evolved. I enjoy not worrying about my hair. I have always leaned toward headbands that have become more and more wider. Then I read more and studied these passages of scripture. Do I live in Corinth in the days of Paul? No, of course not. Do I live in a very worldly and Pagan environment similar to the church in Corinth? Yes, I most definitely do. Am I ashamed to be seen as peculiar because of my modest dress and Christian lifestyle? Of course I am not..... Look to these words of scripture to uphold you as I do....

Titus 2:14
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1 Peter 2:9
 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: 

I might seem peculiar to those around me but I am OK with that. It gives me an opportunity to possibly share the gospel. If someone engages me in my cute, pretty, basic, or peculiar head covering they may be asking in their heart more and I need to be prepared to share the gospel with them. Is that why I cover? No, but it is a wonderful by product.

All because of HIM.....



Just a few examples of my choice of head coverings. I have 5 daughter (5 sons also). I am not forcing them to cover but as my younger ones living at home I will be an example to them and explain my conviction. I will reach out to my adult and teenage daughters as best I can but that will take time and conviction but I am patient as I am sure my mother was patient with me. I myself am a new Christian. I was an Atheist and Secular Pagan for over a decade and a Latter Day Saint (Mormon) before that. I do not try to erase that history if you read far enough back on mu blog you will see me as practicing and I thought happy Secular member of my local Unitarian Universlist Church. I was saved and place myself in Jesus as my savior and my family has been blessed. In case you were wondering I am a practicing Independent Baptist now. Head covering is not required or as yet even mentioned as a whole in my congregation. This is a personal calling of my own supported by my husband. God bless.....












No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...