Saturday, April 7, 2012

Homemade lavender and sandalwood lotion

My newest batch of homemade lotion turned out pretty good. I collected all of my ingredients and set some water to boil in my favorite teapot. It is cast iron and it just makes me happy. I steeped some dried lavender in the hot water. I used this instead of just plain water to add a little umph and scent to my lotion. (OK, I was out of lavender essential oil and I who doesn't like lavender?) I planned on using some sandalwood scent too for a change. You can see castor oil in my list of ingredients but I didn't use it this time. I got carried away and actually forgot to add it. I didn't skimp on the liquid oil though. I just used almond oil for all of the liquid oil component. Here is a list of the ingredients and amounts I used....

3/8 cup + 2 teaspoons liquid oil (I like to use almond oil with some castor oil)
1 1/2 teaspoons solid oil (I like coconut oil and shea butter)
3 3/4 teaspoons natural vegetable wax (I use palm wax)
1/2 teaspoon Borax
1 1/4 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
3/8 cup + 2 3/4 teaspoons water or herb infused water
2 vitamin E capsules (cut and squeezed into oil)
5 drops of grapefruit seed extract (to help preserve)
4 drops of sandalwood essential oil (I didn't want a lot of scent for this batch)

Combine the liquid oils, solid oils, vitamin E, and wax in one bowl or pot. Combine the water, Borax, and vegetable glycerin in another bowl or pot. Heat them separately trying not to bowl or go over 165 degrees. When the solids are all melted combine them together and keep stirring as it all cools. It will start to thicken up as it cools. Add the essential oils and grapefruit seed extract now. If you add it too soon when it is too warm it will evaporate. If you slow down on stirring the oil will separate. I don't have an electric mixer so I get a little workout or I enlist the kids to stir. And voila... you have homemade lotion!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...