Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mama, what's for dinner?

I guess I can call it hamburger casserole.

What to make for dinner? That is a question I have to ask way too often. I had some ground beef sitting in the refrigerator that needed to be cooked. So, I made up this recipe. I was a little surprised it turned out OK. The kids ate it up. It needed more cheese on top but we were running low on cheese. I added fresh corn on the cob to the meal to round it out. I may try it again with some cream of mushroom soup. Here is my recipe.

One pound of ground beef

1/4 of a white onion

One cup fresh sliced mushrooms

One can diced potatoes (drained)

Salt and pepper to taste

Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup white rice

Cheese

While I was browning the beef in an electric skillet I added the onion, mushrooms, potatoes, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. I broke the mushrooms into fairly small pieces. They soak up the flavor of the beef really well. While this was cooking I heated the oven to 350 degrees and started the rice cooking. It is OK if the rice isn't fully cooked by the time the beef mixture is finished. Add the rice and beef mixture together in a baking dish and top with some cheese. I used Parmesan and American cheese this go around. I think shredded sharp cheddar would have worked better. I let it bake for about 20 minutes or until it was heated through and the cheese was all melted. It was fairly hearty. I did not use very lean beef. A little fat goes a long way to add flavor. Seasoned pork sausage could probably be substituted for the beef.

1 comment:

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...