Sunday, November 22, 2009

You baked bread?

At church today they had their Annual Thanksgiving Bread Communion Service. I had to work in the nursery but I tried to get into the spirit of the activity. The goal was, for those that wanted to participate, to bake a bread that reflected something about their family. In other words a bread that reflected family roots or had some other significance. In my household we are privileged enough to claim Celtic ancestors from Wales, Ireland, and Scotland. To celebrate this heritage I wanted to bake a traditional brown bread. I enjoyed making it but it did not quite come out like I wanted it to. My oven cooks a bit hot and the results were a bit off. It looked okay though. It tasted alright. The kids ate it just fine. My husband said it would be fine with a lot of good butter. (Doesn't everything taste better with a lot of good butter?) I shared it with my class at church and not one of the toddlers turned their noses up at it. They didn't ask for seconds but no one said "yucky". I'll try this one again but I think I'll make smaller loaves and bake it 25 degrees cooler. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested in trying their hand.
5 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter

2 eggs
2 1/4 cups buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Then mix them together. Mix by hand till a stiff dough has formed. Knead thoroughly and separate into two balls. Flatten the tops slightly and with a large knife make an X on top of each about an inch deep. Bake for about 45 minutes in a preheated oven at 375 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...