Monday, November 2, 2009

November is Here

Mama, why do we have Thanksgiving?

When Annika and I were in the car after gymnastics by ourselves on the way to pick the little kids up from daycare she asked me a question. She asked, "Why do we have Thanksgiving?". Well, I was taken aback a little. Annika is in 2nd grade and 7 years old. I know she has learned each year about the history behind Thanksgiving since she was a toddler. I started to explain to her all about the pilgrims and the mayflower. By the time I was finished with my lengthy explanation of the original Thanksgiving story I was thinking that my child hasn't learned anything in her social studies classes over the years. Annika looked up and said, "Oh yeah, I learned that last year". So much for my one-on-one teachable moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...